With the advancement of semiconductor technology, the application and design of microcomputer systems can meet the miniaturization and portability needs. In order to meet the need for customized specifications and functions, the design mode of the embedded system must allow the application of the microcomputer system to extend to a wider field. In recent years, VHDL chip design, ARM-based embedded system design, and CPLD/FPGA development programs have been created under the financial support of the MOE’s “Science and Technology Department Talent Cultivation Program” and “Capital Communication Talent Cultivation Program.” The teaching and research equipment needed for these programs, including the establishment of an embedded system design lab, have been provided. At the same time, the development of software and hardware design using various types of microcomputers such as programmable controllers (PLCs), single chip (Intel 8051, Microchip PIC/dsPIC), TI DSP, ARM SOC, and PCs have been applied to consumer multimedia electronic products, smart robot development, electromechanical integration control, audio and video signal processing, and VoIP. The team has also developed a full-featured PIC micro controller teaching aid to help enhance practical teaching. We also set up a VoIP system on our campus to integrate with the traditional network of the school to enable professors and students in the university to communicate for free using the Internet and traditional university extensions. The main development direction of this group is as follows:
This development focus is based on the PIC/dsPIC family of high-end microcontrollers of Microchip. Due to the high market share and stability of PIC/dsPIC series microcontrollers, it has become the mainstream of electronic control system design in the market. Therefore, the development plan of this project will focus on teaching, research, and promotion of education.
(1) In terms of teaching, a high-end microcontroller laboratory will be built first, and experimental instruments for peripheral product design technology development will be integrated later to actively cultivate relevant technical manpower. In line with our program’s skill verification specifications, we will establish a subject-based question bank and choose the design course test questions on a yearly basis to assess the professional ability of our students.
(2) Our research will integrate professors, graduate students, and industry needs, and undertake R&D related to research projects or industry products. In accordance with the equipment and space available in the electromechanical integration lab, a product design research group was established to cultivate relevant technical manpower and practical R&D technology.
(3) In terms of technology promotion, depending on industry demand and social trends, appropriate promotion opportunities will be set up to assist the cultivation of technically talented workers for the industry, and partnerships with the industry will be established to understand its needs and narrow the gap between industry and education.
(1) Embedded system application design is a combination of CPLD/FPGA chip design, multimedia audio and video technology, image processing and control theory, embedded system for application platform developed for Intelligent Transportation System (ITS), and intelligent robots (Intelligent Robots). For example, the development of a driving assistance system to improve vehicle driving safety integrated multimedia entertainment technology and Global Position System (GPS) to serve as a car’s audio-visual entertainment system and driving assistance system. Emotional Face Recognition has been applied to the interactive perception between humans and pet robots.
(2) Multimedia and network communication integrates communication and information to develop a multimedia network communication platform. The content covers development of voice/image digital production and compression algorithm research, SIP communication protocol production, applications in digital learning, digital publishing and collection, VoIP, and Video-Phone. The network communication technology is used to support the remote data transmission related to the course.
(3) Digital signal processing application systems development integrates digital signal processing technology, including digital filtering, signal modeling, spectrum analysis, random signal processing, adaptive signal processing, neural networks, wavelet networks, and image development, sound, and biomedical digital signal processing application systems such as image text recognition system, image detection system, two-way audio communication system with active noise control, and high-resolution ECG diagnosis system. This helps students acquire digital signal processing technology application and practical system design ability.
(4) Computer-aided design of integrated circuits is the design of integrated circuit components using computer-aided software to create new components or improve the electrical characteristics of existing components. After the design is completed, it is sent to the National Nano Component Laboratory (NDL) to manufacture physical components. The computer-aided software design is a very large integrated circuit (VLSI). After the design is completed, it is sent to the National Chip System Design Center (CIC) to manufacture physical circuits.